Please visit my new site at: https://rbmcdaniel.ca/

Thursday 3 February 2022

Dainin Katagiri

Jack Kornfield tells this story: “Zen teacher Dainin Katagiri Roshi . . . lived with his family in Minneapolis at the center of a large Zen community. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, many students came to help, but they also were frightened and confused at the thought that their teacher was subject to ordinary human frailty. One day he called the students to his bedside. ‘I see you are watching me closely. You want to see how a Zen master dies. I’ll show you.’ He kicked his legs and flailed his arms with alarm, crying out, ‘I don’t want to die, I don’t want to die!’ Then he stopped and looked up at them. ‘I don’t know how I will die. Maybe I will die in fear or in pain. Remember, there is no right way.’”

[Dainin Katagiri portrait by Molly Macnaughton]

 The Third Step East: 215-30; 136, 212


The Story of Zen: 275-80, 319, 352, 413, 414

No comments:

Post a Comment