Please visit my new site at: https://rbmcdaniel.ca/

Sunday 8 August 2021

Imakita Kosen

Imakita Kosen described his experience of awakening this way: “One night during zazen practice the boundary between before and after suddenly disappeared. I entered into the blessed realm of the totally wondrous. It was as if I had arrived at the ground of the Great Death with no memory of the existence of anything, not even myself. All I remember is an energy in my body that spread out over ten times ten-thousand worlds and a light that radiated endlessly. At one point, as I took a breath, seeing and hearing, speaking and moving suddenly became different from what they had normally been. As I sought for the highest principle and the wondrous meaning of the universe, my own self became clear and all things appeared bright. In this abundance of delight, I forgot that my hands were moving in the air and my feet were dancing.”

Zen Masters of Japan: 294-95]

The Story of Zen: 213-17

No comments:

Post a Comment