Monday, 1 August 2016

Yoshin Radin



                The third of Joshu Sasaki’s oshos I interviewed was Yoshin Radin of the Ithaca Zen Center. Yoshin’s spiritual quest had begun in India. “I had heard about Swami Muktanada, who was a Hindu yogi. So I decided to go to his ashram. I sold every possession I had at the commune; raised enough money for a one-way ticket to India plus $15. And I thought, ‘I’m just going to go to the ashram, and I’m not going to leave.’ Got to Bombay. Got to his ashram. And, for some reason, they wouldn’t let me in. So I was living in a bus stall across the street from the ashram with no money, no food. It’s a long story; I feel silly talking about this stuff.”
                But, of course, many who came of age in the late ’60s and early ’70s could tell similar stories.
                “Anyway, I met this guy, Gil. I was out in the street, and I was getting a little bit frantic because I had no money, no anything. ‘What am I going to do about this?’ And he looked at me and said, ‘Don’t worry. Behind the thoughts there is no “I”.’ And it clicked. One of those ‘click’ moments. So, there it was. The teaching was right in front of me.”

[Yoshin Radin – Cypress Trees in the Garden: 55-66, 469]
[See also: Yoshin Radin and Ithaca Zen Center]

No comments:

Post a Comment