Wednesday, 27 July 2016

Myokyo McLean



                Myokyo McLean was a student of Joshu Sasaki and is the abbess at Enpuku-ji in Montreal. When I met her in 2013, I asked her how her students addressed her.      
                “They call me Myokyo.”
                “Not ‘sensei’ or anything like that?”
                She shook her head and told me she makes it clear to them that she isn’t a teacher.
                “What is your relationship to them then?”
                She paused a moment. “I don’t know what there is to teach in Zen. I mean, you talk a little bit about your experience, and you set an example about how you go about doing things. So I resist the word ‘teacher’ because to teach is very active. There’s something to teach, and you teach it. But that’s not what happens here. I don’t see it like that.”

[Myokyo McLean – Cypress Trees in the Garden: 39-45, 47, 48, 49, 51, 54, 56, 66, 67, 108, 286]
[See also: Enpuki-ji]

No comments:

Post a Comment